A friend's dog just had a very bad reaction to Advantix II, a topical flea and tick control product. She lives in an area with lots of ticks and had used the product for years without a problem.

Recently her dog became agitated and anxious. He ran around the yard like he was panicked, hid in the bathroom and behind a table. He had a dose of Advantix II the evening before. When she called the Advantix emergency number, she was told "it feels like tiny needles and burning all over his skin." She bathed him with a degreasing soap (Dawn) and gave him Benadryl. Luckily the dog is doing fine now.

If you search on 'Advantix II Paresthesia' you'll find several cases where dogs have had a bad reaction. Advantix II can cause:

  • skin irritation such as redness, scratching, or other signs of discomfort
  • gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting or diarrhea
  • lethargy or agitation
  • sensation of burning, tingling, itching, redness or numbness of the skin

Also keep any cats away from treated dogs for 24 hours as cats can't metabolize certain compounds and may have serious harmful effects.

According to someone who replied to her post, "Don't use Nexgard either, I have a friend who used it on her dog and the dog started seizing and eventually passed. Nexgard is paying and has taken responsibility for it."

Another reply talked about a friend's dog who "started having grand mal seizures. Over time they got worse and started clustering. Come to find out it was a reaction to Frontline. Once she stopped the Frontline, the seizures stopped."

Yet another reply said she "used k9 advantix one time and my girl had a stroke from it!!"

Bravecto is another product that was discussed. Some people like it, but it's caused sterility which tells me it probably isn't safe for any dog.

Bottom line?

Be very careful of chemicals used on your dog. The flea / tick products are designed to spread and coat the whole body. That's probably not a good thing as the skin is the body's largest organ and plays a big role in the maintenance of health.

Check your dogs when they've been in a tick-filled area and pull them off manually.

One product I use with good results is DynaShield. It's a blend of essential oils, herbs and plant extracts and can be used on people, dogs, cats and horses. Click to learn more about DynaShield and more products from Dynamite Specialty Products. If you must use some sort of chemical, check out diatomaceous earth. I haven't used it, but I've heard it has good results with fewer to no side effects.

Header image courtesy of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Justamere Ranch

Dual Purpose Labrador Retrievers

© 2024 Justamere Ranch LLC
All rights reserved.

Website by: Exede Digital

TOP Order Dynamite Specialty Products Watch Justamere Ranch videos on YouTube Connect with Justamere Ranch on Facebook